Emotional Support Animal vs. Service Dog

by Sue on April 28, 2011

Just a short question.

How many of you were able to change your dog’s occupation from Emotional Support Animal to Service Dog after the new ruling change that took affect March 15, 2011?

If so, did you see more of a positive view of your dog in the eye of the public?

Sussie and Gunny

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

1 C.C. 05.23.11 at 8:23 pm

What was the ruling change? I have a mixed small service dog who alerts me to undiagnosed passing out spells. However, he will soon be retiring. Am consideringa a Bichon, as they seem to be in tune with people. I ahve had some people accuse me of just wanting the dog’s comfort, he does provide emotional support, I get anxious in crowds..ie mall, walmart, buses. If the new dog doesn’t turn out to alert me to passing out, can she still travel with me for anxiety relief? Therapy for Me, not therapy like in nursing homes, so does that count as a service dog? Also, are s.d’s trained solely by owner allowed still? My little guy trained himself, and I ran with it, but the pro. trainer is no longer available. Thanks for any help, feel free to email me direct.

2 sussie 05.24.11 at 7:40 am

At one time dogs used for psychiatric reasons were not considered Service Dogs. Now, depending on what the dog does for you, the dog might be considered a Service Dog. You can read about the new ruling here…

Sussie and Gunny

3 Dori 05.27.11 at 9:48 am

:razz: I got this information thru a friend, I have a cat who is an ESA but I want the ID for future tennants…I have a letter from my therapist. Do I go to the service dogs website to get the ID? I suffer from OTSD, deprression and anxiety and my cat knows before I do that I am going to have an abxiety attack. What do I need to do next?

4 sussie 05.27.11 at 10:25 am
5 Kimi K. 07.12.11 at 6:57 pm

I thought the new law says that dogs used solely for Emotional Support are not considered service animals. I have an Emotional Support dog but am worried with this new law that I am not able to take her everywhere with me like I do now. If I am wrong, please let me know.

6 sussie 07.12.11 at 6:59 pm

It actually depends on if your mental condition also falls under the new laws. Your dog could now very well be a service dog.

7 Trevor 08.01.11 at 8:53 am

I have a dog which acts as my ESA for my PTSD. When I get the letter from my therapist, does that mean I can take my dog with me wherever I go? She levels my blood pressure and relieves my panic attacks, but I’ve been reading that ESAs don’t have the same rights as service dogs. Any info? Thanks!

8 sussie 08.03.11 at 5:47 pm

If you have been formally diagnosed with PTSD then your dog is not an ESA according to the new rules. It is now a Service Dog.

9 Sue 08.09.11 at 8:24 pm

I’m having a problem with a person that I know whom is trying to pass his dog off as a service dog. He has already gotten into an apartment without paying the security that others have paid, because he said his dog is a “Dog of Convience”. Now he is wanting to get a letter from his doctor saying that his dog is a companion dog and used for emotional support. Sorry there is nothing wrong with this person, but the fact that he want’s his Beagle with him at all times. This is just not right, and I don’t know how to deal with this. I have to trained Therapy Dogs that do visits, and I’m always doing refreshers training with them. Because this guys dog is hyper and a little unrulely I do not want them around mine. During a Bible Study that is held in my home, by law do I have to allow his dog in??? Please any help that you might give me, would be greatly appreciated. I’m at my wits end with him and taking advantage of the system.
Thanks

10 sussie 08.09.11 at 10:23 pm

No you do not have to allow this dog into your home. First off Emotional Support Animals are not recognized by ADA and do not fall under any of the ADA rulings. Second, even if ESA’s were recognized by the ADA they can still be refused entry into a home. ADA rules state that Service Dogs are allowed into public places. A home is not a public place. That is private property.

Sussie, Gunny and Rainy.

11 Sue 08.22.11 at 12:24 pm

Thank you so much Sussie, Gunny and Rainy. This helps so much when it comes to allowing this dog into my home.

12 Barbs 10.16.11 at 2:43 am

what is an emotional support and service dog rules and regs. How do I know whedre I stand?
Barbs

13 sussie 10.16.11 at 6:47 pm

ESA’s are not regulated by the ADA. They are regulated to some degree with the Fair Housing Board when it comes to having them in rentals.

14 Jennifer S. 10.21.11 at 12:26 pm

I have PTSD and am interested in getting a cat as a companion because I get lonely and have a hard time with human roommates. My fish at home already help calm and focus me, give comfort and a feeling of safety, and provide distractions when I need it. Does that mean my fish are Emotional Support Animals? Also, if the cat ends up doing the same thing, would he/she be considered an Emotional Support Animal?

15 sussie 11.11.11 at 6:09 pm

In answer to both of your questions.

16 Hapo 02.20.12 at 2:02 am

My dog recognizes when I am going to have a seizure and also, I stop breathing for some reason. This may me mental, or physical, but my dog also helps me through this by stopping me and getting me as close to the floor as possible, relaxes me. My main problem is anieexiety. This is terrible. I feel a choking sensation tightening around my throat.. And what exactly is ptsd?

17 Hapo 02.20.12 at 2:04 am

My dog recognizes when I am going to have a seizure and also, I stop breathing for some reason. This may me mental, or physical, but my dog also helps me through this by stopping me and getting me as close to the floor as possible, relaxes me. My main problem is anxiety. This is terrible. I feel a choking sensation tightening around my throat.. And what exactly is ptsd?