Your Emotional Support Animal

by Sue on July 8, 2011

Let’s liven up the blog a little since it seems to be a bit dead this week. Feel free to answer any or all of these questions.

What type of ESA do you have? (Also name, age and anything else you would like to tell us)

How long have you been using one?

Have to ever ran into problems with having with your ESA?

How did you handle it?

Sussie and Gunny

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Carol Trezza 09.14.15 at 6:02 am

I have severe COPD and severe emphysema I also get panic attacks which I am on medication for I got a puppy a year ago and if it wasn’t for him I would be in bed most of the time I have to take him out to go to the bathroom and if I go shopping he comes with me I don’t go to a psychiatrist but I do go to a primary doctor and a lung specialist Is my dog a service dog or an emotional support dog I didn’t rescue him he rescued me He is a 13 lb Havanese dog that puts a smile on my face everyday and makes me forget how sick I really am Sincetely Carol Trezza

2 sami hall 02.25.16 at 8:10 am

im 17 i have really bad depression but my puppy we dont really know what breed her mother is but her father is a dachshound and she is a 1 year old puppy she is good around people and other animals but she is not very well behaved she isnt really trained even though she is fixed she is still very hyper but i cant stand when i cant have her with me at school or other places like doctors offices or at camp for church and i get depressed when im not with her she makes me happy when nothing else does and i really need her with me everywhere she has been hit by a car but i helped her with physical theropy and i want to get her certified as my emotional support dog can i get her certified although she isnt well trained and isnt completely potty trained???

3 sami hall 02.25.16 at 8:14 am

i have been put on antidepressants but they dont work so when my puppy was born i was happy and i didnt get depressed very much afterwards

4 sami hall 02.25.16 at 8:19 am

my mom also has disabilities that are hereditary which is bipolar but she also has really bad depression anxiety ptsd and other mental disabilaties

5 Sue 02.29.16 at 4:11 pm

If you are using your dog to control those, that is not an Emotional Support Animal. That is a Service Animal according to ADA laws.

6 Sue 02.29.16 at 4:11 pm

7 Sue 02.29.16 at 4:12 pm

8 Bonnie speck 03.14.16 at 6:34 pm

I have suffered from clinical depression and panic attacks for all life (now 62), several times a year I’m hospitalized for it. We have three cats but only one that rarely leaves my side. I rarely leave the house, my husband does it all. I’ve never heard of a ESA animal before today. I want to take her with me on vacation since I’ll be gone 4-6 weeks visiting family in Idaho/Montana. I have no family east of the rock mountains.
I’ve been seeing this therapist for 10+ years once a month. I love my husband but Cookie Kitty is the reason I live. She will even licks my tears away when I cry and sleeps on me or right next to me. She is extremely gental and well behaved.

Getting a letter from my doctor will be no problem, she knows I have put this vacation off for a year because I could afford to take Cookie too.
I even have a stroller to go walking together. The last time I flew with her, she broke her carrier and crawled onto my lap. I just covered her up and she slept the entire five hours.
How do I get her qualified as a service animal over an ESA?